Dog Walk in Chessington South and Epsom Gap
Our dog walking guide is the perfect accompaniment to long summer days. The six-part series features beautiful countryside walks around the Surrey area and each walk finishes at a pub – we all know that’s the best part of a long dog walk! Our third Surrey dog walk is based within the Chessington South and Epsom Gap area. The walk is 6.92 miles long (or 11.13km) and should take you roughly three hours to complete. The walk begins and ends at The Shy Horse, a local pub with a great beer garden which is perfect for the dog. They serve hearty, seasonal food and a selection of fine wines and cask ales. Food is served all day and their menu includes classic pub favourites, such as British beef and Merlot pie and pan-fried belly of pork. They also offer a range of slightly more unexpected dishes, including garlic crusted mussels, as well as a fantastic Sunday menu.
- Park at The Shy Horse, Leatherhead Road, KT9 2NQ. Turn left from the pub and follow the path until you turn left onto the public footpath, signed Epsom Common. Pass through a narrow gate and then take the first right onto another public footpath, signed Ashtead Common. Continue along the muddy track, which will turn to grass, cross a stile and then turn left. Proceed across three cross-paths, go past Stew Ponds and then, when you eventually meet a fork in the road, go left onto Christchurch Road.
- Cross the road and continue along the Horton Lane bridleway. Take the left fork onto the main road and then turn left in the direction of Horton Country Park. Take the immediate right into the woods, signed Thamesdown Link, and then go through a gap in the fence to turn onto a wide track, bearing left as you proceed along it. Continue straight ahead, passing the damaged totem pole and crossing a junction to pass the Polo Club on your way.
- Once you reach a major junction, fork left. Go straight across a t-junction and enter a field, either by going over a stile or passing through a kissing gate. Turn right to follow the edge of the field, continue through a second field, go over a site and then use the footbridge to cross Bonesgate Stream.
- When you come to Green Lane, turn left. Continue on the left-hand pavement, crossing to climb steps signed Public Footpath Garrison Lane. You are now halfway through the walk so this is an ideal time to pull out your flask of tea or bottle of water and enjoy a little pit-stop!
- Bear right and follow Garrison Lane. Turn left and proceed along the pavement over a railway bridge, forking left as the road does. Cross Kingston Road into Barwell Lane and then go through a gate opposite Virginia Cottage. Climb Whiney Hill and, once you have passed three large conifer trees, bear left. Proceed along the path, passing a viewpoint and a small pond, until you eventually reach a kissing gate which you should pass through.
- Follow the path which runs alongside Chessington World of Adventures. Go left over a stile and then turn into a driveway between the Chessington World of Adventures’ fence and car park. Follow the driveway through two gates and then go straight ahead when you see a yellow arrow, using the footpath to Leatherhead Road.
- Follow a bridleway signed Ashton Common. When you reach Rushett Lane, bear right and cross the road. Turn left onto a pavement and then right through a metal gate and onto a bridleway. Using the path which runs between two fields, pass through another gate and then turn right in the direction of Leatherhead Road. Proceed through a field, crossing two stiles on the way, and continue across a farm.
- Turn left onto the path signed Leatherhead Road and then right onto the path signed Kingston Road. You can now retrace your steps to The Shy Horse – where you can treat yourself to a well-deserved drink or a spot of delicious pub grub!