Dog Walk in The River Wey and Guildford
Here at Green Lane Farm, we know that our customers and their beloved dogs love a long, country walk – particularly when it ends at a pub! That’s why we’ve created a Surrey dog walking guide. Our guide includes six beautiful, countryside walks, all of which will end at a local pub serving both food and drink.
Our second dog walk is based in Guildford and takes in the stunning scenery of The River Wey. The walk is 8.08 miles long (or 13km) and should take you roughly three hours to complete. Beginning and ending near The George Abbot, the recently refurbished pub is the perfect place to enjoy a post-walk meal and they serve food from 11am til 9pm daily. Their award-winning menu, as recognised by Restaurant Magazine, includes a range of pub favourites, such as steak and ale pie, hand-battered cod and Saddleback pork sausages, as well as a grill section, including a variety of steaks and burgers. They also offer a fantastic Sunday roast!
- Park in Farnham Road car park (GU2 7NP). Exit the car park at level 5 and turn right.
- Continue on Farnham Road and, once you reach the railway bridge, cross over and bear right. Proceed along Park Street, taking the pedestrian subway towards the High Street. Once you reach The George Abbot, cut through the car park and then walk along Mill Mead, crossing the bridge at Millmead Lock. Before you reach the second bridge, turn right onto the towpath.
- Keep on the towpath and then turn right by Guildford Racing Club to proceed along the River Wey towpath. Once you can see a bridge, turn right; you should then pass Ferry Cottage and Pilgrim Cottage on your right. Cross the railway bridge, turn right onto Ferry Lane and then turn left onto Sandy Lane.
- Continue along Sandy Lane before turning right at Piccards Manor. Follow the North Downs Way signs, passing Piccards Farmhouse as you do. The NDW signs will lead you to the wood; use either the gate or the stile to enter and then follow the path to your left. Use the narrow, sandy track to go uphill and through the woods and then bear left once you reach a fork in the road. When you eventually come across a bridleway, cross it.
- Keep going, passing the Watts Gallery, and then turn left once you reach Downs Lane. Follow the sign to Compton, passing Coneycroft Farm, and then go back on yourself to follow the signs to a public footpath. Proceed through a fences field and then turn right at a concrete drive.
- Follow the drive for its entirety and then turn right through a gate and left through a gap. Proceed along the track, walking through the left-hand side of a field. You are now halfway through the walk – making this the perfect place in which to relax and take a break!
- Continue along the path, crossing a stile on your way. Turn right at the bottom of a set of steep steps and then, after approximately 40m, turn left at the junction. Go through the gate in front of you and then follow the path through a second gate.
- Turn left to proceed along a footpath on the outskirts of Loseley Park. Cross a stile and pass through two swing gates. You should then cross through a field, another swing gate, a further field and then a final swing gate.
- Continue ahead, going straight over the crossroads near Pillarbox Cottage. Maintain direction along a grassy track, passing Surrey Police headquarters on the way. You will then reach a road; continue along the junction, turn left by a bus stop and then cross the road to reach a public footpath.
- Follow the footpath until you reach The River Wey. You should then turn left to take the towpath signed ‘Guildford’. You will now reach The George Abbot pub! Here you can enjoy a delicious meal or a well-earned drink before retracing your earlier route to Farnham Road car park.